Friday, June 12, 2015

Virtuous Woman #5

I don't know about the rest of you, but summer vacation is kinda losing its charm. Basically, it's been card-making and Etsy managing this week.


 I did have fun paddle-boating yesterday, but when we got back, there didn't seem to be too much to do. Today was pretty productive, though, with hem lowering, ironing, watching the Walton's... :)




So, we are now back to Virtuous Woman #5 (I'll start posting about two or three verses so we can move on sooner).

"She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms."
Proverbs 31:16-17

I like these verses, for one thing, because I enjoy planting and working with my hands. We again see that the Virtuous Woman is a good businesswoman. She carefully looks at land, or whatever, and buys it at a good price. She isn't afraid or ashamed to get her hands dirty, either. That reminds me of my late pastor's wife, who, even in her seventies, wasn't too scared or refined to sled down a hill, walk through a park, or feed the geese with her elementary class. That is a Virtuous Woman.
Gardening is a great way to get close to God. It teaches patience, and is a good activity for kids to participate in. The Virtuous Woman gardens, but in this verse, I believe a vineyard could refer to something that brings in a little extra cash. This takes work and time, but in the end is worth it to provide for her family.

And, it's funny, in a way, about how it specifically says the Virtuous Woman strengthens her arms, since arm strength is something I occasionally try to work on and lack greatly. But the Virtuous Woman truly is strong in body, mind, and soul. She exercises and cares for her body, keeping in mind that our bodies are God's temples. I'm pretty sure this doesn't mean we can't have chocolate ice cream. If it did, I would have a serious problem. A really serious problem. But, like with everything, we have to be careful about how much we consume. And if we eat three bowls of ice cream in one day, that's okay- as long as you work it off, right? :) I think that we can fulfill these verses by being cautious and wise in business, hard-working, and keeping ourselves (body, mind, and soul) fit.

Adam Clarke Commentary: Proverbs 31


Have a great day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment